Friday 10 July 2009

Spiritual Transition

I wish to say a few words about spiritual transition. My own experience is that a kind of dark night of the soul is inevitable before something can open up within (see a previous post). You may have worked with yourself for a long time but at some point you're starting to feel weary. Nothing inspires you anymore. It may provoke a severe feeling of anxiety. You will most likely start to feel even more separated from other people and this, depending on your basic constitution, will feel truly horrifying. When you look back you realize that all your attempts at connecting with others have been futile. Now, to make matters worse, people start to drop out of your life. Maybe they don't recognize who you are anymore and may start to shun you. If you feel that this may be the case, it's not a nice feeling and pretty taxing on your sense of self! Some people truly don't fit into the new you that is in transition, as you don't inhabit the same energetic space as them anymore. Some may deep down feel envious of changes in you that they perceive ever so slightly. If you radiate more light then that could disturb other people who might feel inferior in some ways. However, speculating about this may lead you nowhere. Whatever the facts surrounding the loss of people and opportunities, what is certainly true is that a lot of weird stuff keep popping out of the depths of your being and you hardly even recognize yourself anymore! Chances are that you are a kind person, maybe cheerful even, but that doesn't seem to stand through anymore - you question your own self. This is not a bad thing, though, because you need to be open to a new version of you. You may not be going crazy. When you start to feel the true symptom of the dark night of the soul you will not only feel separated from the higher truth ("God" if you will), you will also feel separated from other people. In addition, you will attract odd characters who mirror the issues you still have, and so rather than feel bitter it's more constructive to see them as catalysts or teachers. Remember that they are attracted to you too, for whatever reason. I wouldn't recommend worrying too much about this, instead try and find ways of dealing with it that help to empower you in a good way - any way that helps you become more self-reliant is good because it brings you closer to the real you. Learning to say NO to people and things is a vital part of this process, as it's connected to the idea of resisting temptations along the same lines as the trials that Jesus and Buddha went through!

The horror that you may be experiencing is an existential angst that settles in your body in the form of a taught sensation as well as unpleasant phases of rather extreme anxiety. Because of going through deep inner change, you will also feel very vulnerable and open and other people will either misunderstand you, take advantage of your openness so as to feel superior themselves, or simply cause you to hurt because there is something in the connection that you are supposed to learn from. To bash oneself because one is attracting negative things is not useful in my opinion. This phase may last for a long time. It all depends how much change you can handle. Sometimes a sensitive person like myself also has to deal with physical issues such as fibromyalgia and the like, and this may slow down the process. It's best to try and honor this, relax and rest as much as possible. You just might be going through a major spiritual transition... it will be taxing on every level of your "old self" (physical, emotional, mental...). Don't worry; if all this is going on while you suspect it's a spiritual transition, it's certainly more real than talking yourself into it in some way. Fluttering around in a world of love and light may not get you this far. You may feel immersed in negativity but that's because you're releasing any that you still harbor in the depths of your subconscious mind. I'd recommend trying to accept it for what it is and focus on change for the better. It's in the nature of this predicament not change by force of will alone. However, the more you try to tune into the surrender to spirit, the better. It may seem like the last thing to do, and you won't do it because someone tells you to. You will because you've come to the conclusion that it's the only solution. But Rome wasn't built in a day... so hang in there and try to make the best of the situation.

I have good news, though. If this is indeed what you're going through and doctors are not able to find anything substantially wrong with you, then there will be a day when the Kundalini will wake up. It's a partially dormant energy of creation that starts at the very beginning of your spine (I suggest that people look it up if they are not familiar with this concept). You might be feeling something "going on" in your heart and your belly. Maybe you're thinking that the anxiety is giving way. You will have thoughts about the surrender of the ego to spirit. I can't tell you what exactly you will be thinking as it depends on who you are. You might have experienced some huge emotional break down including a lot of crying and very potent feelings of giving up on some pursuits that you have been very serious about. This is the key but not something you can conjure up yourself. It comes when you're ready. The whole point is that somehow, you've been able to get around the little self's desire to be in charge. It's solving a catch22, or maybe even a whole serious of them; attitudes, ideals and pursuits that you've been entangled in. That's when you will have an inner movement that will clear out a lot of the old psychopathological garbage that you no longer need (false attitudes, false pursuits, focusing on the wrong things in your life, and so on). It begins at the very end of your spine so that's how you know it's the Kundalini.

I would suggest, however, that you really set your priorities straight first. There are many distractions that will keep you in a state of struggle and suffering. In my experience you must choose to serve spirit and forget about any other pursuits such as finding the perfect partner or becoming rich. One Kundalini experience or ten may also not bring the ultimate clearance. Many people think they are enlightened because they got through one major obstacle in their life. What they don't realize is that it may not have been the only one and that one or more really serious ones may still lie ahead if they are willing to allow it. However this is all individual. There is no guidebook that one can follow. This post is only meant to help people be aware of what is possibly going on in their lives and to be open to all of it. Good luck!

Artwork: Digital Photograph by author, all rights reserved 2009

10 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for your words of wisdom. They brought me such comfort as i am going through everything you describe in the spiritual transition process, and can relate completely to what you say. You mention that you suffer from fibromyalgia, I have also had this condition for many yars now, and after doing lots of research into this horrible affliction, i discovered that it is caused by fluoride in the water. Fluoride is a poison, a by-product of the aluminium industry which is costly to dispose of, so certain individuals came up with the idea of saying that it is good for our teeth. This is a lie. There is no evidence that this toxic substance actually does anything to prevent cavities. But the people behind the aluminium industry can sell this stuff to toothpaste manufacturers,water companies etc. Fluoride was used on the jews in experiments, during their time in the nazi concentration camps. Among other things, it has the effect of dumbing people down. I purchased a reverse osmosis water filter[the ordinary kinds of filters do not remove fluoride]and within two weeks my fibromyalgia symptoms disappeared after years of pain. I would highly recommend you get one and use the pure water for cooking as well as drinking, and you will feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alegna for your comment! Yes I have heard this about fluoride though am not sure how serious the matter is. My fibro is due to a spinal deformation. However, I have been thinking recently about the stuff they put in toothpaste and how easily it all gets absorbed into our system through the mucus. I also think, though I have no confirmation, that some areas don't put fluoride in the water or at least very small amounts. It may in any case be useful to take the precautions you mentioned, so I thank you for sharing your experinces as well as the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the most perfect thing for me to read right now! I stumbled over your site and as we all know, the Universe works in weird and wonderful ways. Thank you so much for writing something so grand xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thank you so much Claudia for letting me know this! We all need encouragement and it means so much to me that some of what I say is useful to someone ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be a very great comments on this blog post. I read your article fully. Thanks for sharing with us about this post.

    jesus

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I was meant to read this as I've been suffering from Fibromyalgia for over two years now and have been trying to spiritually improve myself, not fully grasping the relationship between the two. Tonight I was feeling especially emotional and down about my illness. I had recently tried a new doctor who still wasn't making a difference and I was overwhelmed and frustrated. I started researching on the internet fibromyalgia and theories relating it to a spiritual journey and found myself here. Also, I was in the bookstore today and picked up a book on Kundalini, which I had never heard of before. I read some of it but left without buying it. I think I'll go back tomorrow and get it. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for commenting and letting me know Lanna! Let me know if you feel you'd like to ask more about these things. I was recently given a link about fibromyalgia, haven't had time to check it out yet but it promised to cover "everything" (except, I expect, spirituality): Cure4Fibromyalgia.org. The kundalini is a tricky thing, there is some hype about it but I think it's best to just look at it as a natural energy/force that is partly dormant. To activate it too much too soon can be fatal for some. I think patience is needed when it comes to spirituality, as its aspects are endless... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for your writing about the dark night. i appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that what I am going through is a spiritual transition for if it isn't then I am truly losing my mind. I have recently come to believe that there is far more to understand of the universe than most realise, unfortunately the realisation has left me feeling deeply afraid of everything, lost, and not even sure if anything is real. At last I am able to cry for I truly have to place my faith in something higher than myself, and hope for the best. Right now I am suffering so bad. I am riddled with anxiety. So lost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jessie, these are very confusing times, and it sounds like you're going through personal cofusion as well. I don't really know what to believe anymore. I do still believe in what I have previously established for myself but I don't have a clue as to where it is all going or what I am supposed to do either, for that matter. I started to feel very fearful when I opened up emotionally, perhaps that's what's going on with you too? Try and hold onto the real world as best you can would be my advice. It's very important to be grounded in this reality, otherwise you will definitely feel lost and insecure. :-)

    ReplyDelete